2016 What's Your Next Big Thing?
I've been flooded with new clients recently who are looking to make a change...looking to do something big! They generally have been considering a make-over for some time but something has triggered them to take action now. They were tired of feeling flat and overlooked or boxed in because their wardrobe seemed so limiting. In our first session together we do a comprehensive strategy session and then a complete closet overhaul. You would be amazed by the many different clothing combinations we are able to uncover.
This is what my client, and now dear friend, Carrie had to say:
"After you went through my closet and showed me all the different ways to wear my clothes, I thought...
this is the best thing I've ever done for myself!"
After our color and make-up session together, the flat feeling thoughts are replaced with renewed energy.
"Color is FUN! You mean these colors bring out my eyes? And this color makes my hair shine?" was Jodi's response.
Modifying just one aspect of your make-up routine, a more defined eye brow for example, may be all it takes to create the definition and contrast that takes your face from unnoticed to complimented.
Then we move on to fit. "There are no such thing as figure flaws, but figure variations." says my mentor Judith Rasband. With a little self-awareness and artistic countering those so called flaws become a harmonious part of the loveliness that is you!
"I work hard to stay in shape and get frustrated when I can't find clothes that actually fit! After finding Dani, “my person” it was interesting and fun to learn what my personal colors are and what clothing style & shape work for me. Now when I go shopping, I’m on a mission…"
according to Monica Collard, CEO Allied Electric Sign
We wrap up with personal style and shopping. But really that's just the beginning of the transformation process. Getting a glimpse of your potential can be a catalyst to improve every aspect of your life. Now that's a big thing! Can a makeover do that? Absolutely!
"One of the reasons I have been able to be successful (in weight loss) – is in part because of a positive view of my appearance that Dani helped me develop, which has helped fuel forward movement in my life. I use the concepts that Dani taught me every day,"
said Sherrill Sorensen, DNP, MHL, RN, CENP, RNC-OB, C-EFM
These wonderful ladies have a dedicated place in my heart. If you're one of them or even if you have just noticed how your appearance affects your outlook on life, please comment below and tell us about it.
Oh how I love my job! And would love to help you in your quest to be the gorgeous person you are meant to be. This is the time. This is your year. Let's make it happen!
How to Get Rid of Snags, Pilling, Yellowing and Other Ways to Keep the Clothes You Love Looking Good Longer
When you hear the word investment, what comes to mind? Land, a house, the stock market? Investment is defined as the action or process of investing money for profit or material result. In other words, we purchase something with the expectation that it will eventually generate income for us. Having said this, would you consider your clothing an investment? Think of someone whose appearance or image you admire. What investments have they made to get to where they are? Do you think they were just born that way? Good looks, great style, comfortable income? Think again.
People with a successful image use their clothing as a resource, a tool they can control and use to help them achieve their goals and objectives. Sound familiar? People with a successful image invest in clothing to achieve their goals, which could mean financial goals as well as more personal goals such as genuine self-worth. Your wardrobe is an investment and should be cared for as you care for a property or portfolio from which you generate a material result. It is, after all, made from material…(pun intended.)
Here are 5 ways to protect your investments, your wardrobe investments, so that they can provide big returns for you.
1. Snag repair tool – consider this one from Miles Kimball. Instead of discarding your favorite rayon blouse or sweater because of a snag, use a snag repair tool by gently pulling the snag to the back of the fabric and realign the fibers. Find the snag repair tool Here.
2. Sweater Stone– quickly removes unsightly fuzz balls and pilling from knit garments and other clothing $7.95 from Nordstrom. Get the Sweater Stone Here.
3. Sewing kit – we like this sewing kit from Stansport because it has many different colors of thread to easily match the garment, ($2.99.) This is the time to finally sew the button back on that shirt! Remember, your clothes can’t work for you if you don’t work for them. Take the five minutes and sew that button during your favorite TV show. Find the sewing kit Here.
4. Leather and Suede Protector – creates a resistant barrier that protects against water, stains and dirt. If you have not used this, you know how quickly suede gets damaged by dirt, water, etc. Spray on this protector as soon as you buy those blue suede shoes to keep them looking fabulous for years. The cost is around $7 from most drug stores.
5. Baking soda – How to remove yellow pit stains from white shirts? White shirts can be classic pieces that will stand the test of time, but how to keep them looking timeless? Mix four tablespoons of baking soda with one quarter cup water. Scrub the paste into the armpits with an old toothbrush or fingernail brush. Let sit for an hour. Wash and dry-not with high heat.
It’s time to get ready for the holidays! Spending a few dollars and a little time on closet care this Fall will save you time and frustration each time you get ready for your holiday gatherings. Take care of your wardrobe and it will take care of you. Don’t take care of it and your closet will feel cluttered with pieces that you can’t wear – limiting your ability to dress the part on any given day. Be ready for the holidays and start 2016 off on the right foot by utilizing your most undervalued and yet most profitable investment …. your wardrobe.
Written by Dani Slaugh and Judith Rasband, AICI CIM
Image consultant and personal stylist. Dani is happily married, the mother of 3 charming children, and an Aussie named Josie Wales.