Use Your Clothing to Show the Planet Some Love on Earth Day & everyday
Some estimates say that 21 billion pounds of clothes end up in US landfills every year. I know what you’re thinking, I donate my clothes so I’m not contributing to the 21 billion pounds. But guess how much of what you donate is actually resold in the second hand market? Only 10-15%! (I know, mind blown.) So most of what you donate doesn’t get resold. That doesn’t mean stop donating, it does mean to look twice before you buy. Here are 5 ways to love the planet & choose more earth friendly clothing:
1. Purchase clothes with organic materials that break down in landfill - these also tend to use less water to produce. (Organic cotton, organic linen, hemp, and Tencel are a few of these).
2. Buy pieces that use repurposed or made from “dead stock” fabrics
3. Choose clothes made from recycled materials like plastic bottles
4. Buy resale - get my 5 tips for resale shopping HERE.
5. Choose timeless pieces that you don’t throw out - what's the definition of a classic piece? See it HERE.
We’ve been recycling plastic bottles and milk jugs for years. It’s time to be more aware of our clothes and how the constant inflow and outflow is treating our planet. Today is a great day to start looking at the tags. Some stores, like H&M make it easy. All of the earth friendly clothes have a green tag. For other stores, you may have to read the fiber content tag. If it’s organic or recycled you'll know you’re treating the earth well. (Tencel Lyocell and many types of viscose will be great as well.)
Looking for a customized approach to your earth friendly attire? Some personal shopping for spring maybe? Let’s hook up! Contact me HERE.
the Patterns we Love to Wear to a Baby/Bridal Shower & Why They Seem So Natural - P.S. They're also great for weddings
The girls are busy prepping for their sister's baby shower, flowers here and there, pink plates and party cups, you know the drill."Wear the floral dress" the mother-to-be says. "But it feels like the dead of winter still," her sisters say. We're not having the love in her eyes and flowers in her hair kinda weather that Led Zeppelin likes to sing about. “Wear the floral dress.” she says. "Yes ma’am” says we. Why is it that babies, brides, and spring weather bring about the love of all things floral? And why would the mother-to-be feel it more strongly that the rest? Believe me, this isn't an isolated incident. I've seen it time and again and felt it myself. There's something about being with child that stirs up that loving, nurturing, tender kind of feeling that makes us want to show it in what we wear. After all, "what you wear does affect how you think, feel, act and others react or respond to you."(According to Judith Rasband image consulting master.)
What you wear affects you psychologically and can create powerful illusions about your physical appearance. Let's break it down:
The psychological effects of floral patterns -
When you wear floral patterns or any curved lines in patterns or clothing shapes you can expect to look and feel more gentle, romantic, fragile, soft, casual, subtle, friendly, sensual, fun, happy, feminine, with a sense of buoyancy. Of course the lines, shapes, colors and textures all contribute to this affect. In terms of pattern, as seen below the mood and message of the floral pattern is decidedly romantic, soft, and feminine.
The physical effects of floral patterns -
Rounded and floral patterns can reinforce rounded soft-body curves, aka emphasize a beautiful baby belly as they repeat her curves. They might also serve to soften straight lines and angular body areas. Adding a touch of yin to an otherwise yang body type. It's also interesting to note that when the pattern takes attention onto itself it can actually camouflage and create powerful illusions about the size, shape, and weight of the body. In other words, you may notice the pattern more than the body beneath it.
So the next time you have a girlie occasion such as a bridal or baby shower (and/or wedding) know that floral prints are usually a safe bet. They will put you in the mood to shower her with gifts of love and may allow you to eat a few more eclairs. Happy showering my friends.
Are you looking to learn more about what clothing communicates to you and others? You'll love my PERSONAL STYLE COURSE here.
Side note on dress trends - Are they right for you? You don't have to adopt every one! I'm seeing lots of cut-out details and high necklines. If this trend doesn't emphasize your best attributes or work well with your face shape, let it go. Otherwise, have fun trying out something new!
And don't forget to check out the shopping links in my Spring Dress Guide, which includes accessories, BELOW.
Is your jewelry a jumbled mess? Do you wear the exact same earrings on repeat because it’s too time consuming to coordinate them with the outfit? Or get them unhooked from the jewelry tree you use to organize them? Are scarves stuffed in a drawer somewhere? Is it even worth digging them out to wear? This is the organization area no one wants to talk about… the orphans in your closet. The beautiful necklace your husband gave you, broach from Grandma, that never gets worn either because it’s to hard to get to or tricky to coordinate. The 3 best ways to organize your jewelry and scarves are…
When your closet is free from clutter, so is your mind. How would it feel to wake up, look in your closet, and love everything? Wouldn't it be great to know that your clothing fits your figure, your personal style, the occasion and your coloring? In other words, how would it feel to have everything in your closet be designed just for you? Learn how to save time, frustration, and money by organizing your closet and how to determine what additional pieces you need to buy so you don't waste time trying to decide what to wear. Book a wardrobe evaluation HERE.
Do you have a vestie that you love as much as your bestie? Why do we like vests so much? They are warm, layer well, create a slim effect, and they can add a bit of visual authority without looking overpowering. Which vest is best for you and what is it communicating? Whenever you put something on, it makes an impression first on you, the wearer, then on others. We pick up on these cues, but often on a subconscious level. When you understand the messages different clothes send to you, you can become a masterful influencer on your own thoughts and attitudes and on those who have the pleasure of being in your presence. Do you own any of the vests below? Are they communicating what you want to say to your subconscious you and to others?
Check out the video segment from Good Things Utah below.
Puffy or quilted vests - These are hands down the most popular vests I'm seeing right now. They are oh so sporty, athleisurey but also say that you are approachable, more casual, receptive, friendly, and fun to hang with.
It’s fairly easy to add a coat over the top of the vest. But how about under? Try layering a denim jacket below, with a flannel shirt below that and a tank top below that…mind blown yet? Hoodies are common, but how about a collared shirt, then sweatshirt (non-hooded)? Sounds like a win to me! For guys, a vest over virtually any shirt is great. I have found that the guys can pull off a button up plaid flannel or poplin shirt - after all it’s oh so Hallmark movie. (Doesn’t the girl always choose the guy in the warm cuddly flannel shirt?) The puffy vest is so sporty, anything very tailored underneath tends to look out of place.
Amped up Puffer - Have you seen the puffy vests that are heated with a battery? They are magical! A few tips for use, don’t leave them plugged in when not in use…especially if it’s packed in your suitcase and you’re traveling to the Rose Bowl. If the on button has pressure on it, it will use the battery life and you will be left with yes, a cute vest, but no magical amped up heat.
Sweater Vests - These are definitely out there and a great choice when you are looking to feel and appear more confident, organized, efficient, reliable, and responsible. The question always becomes to tuck or not to tuck? Tuck in the tee. If your button up shirt lays flat below the vest, feel free to untuck. You'll look more casual this way. Tuck in to appear a bit more assertive.
Tailored Vests Elevate the Look - More tailored suit style vests are a lovely way to add more visual authority in an approachable way. When you are looking to feel and appear more refined, businesslike, polished, dependable, firm, self-sufficient, and assertive without wearing a blazer or jacket, a tailored vest will hep you get there. Of course tailored shirts are welcome with these tailored vests, to take it down a notch, try a crew neck sweater or an 80s throw-back high quality t-shirt.
May your vestie continue to be your bestie and may you wear it wisely! Now that you understand what each is saying about you, feel free to use these understatements to your advantage.
Are you looking a to take a deeper dive into the psychology of clothing and how to speak without saying a word? You'll love my Personal Style Session! Check it out HERE.
CLICK IMAGE BELOW FOR THE FULL VEST RESOURCE CATALOG
We have many excuses for hibernating during this festive time of year. As I'm writing this, hibernating seems to be my M.O. due to a post Thanksgiving cold followed by a skin treatment that, trust me, no one wants to look at. Needless to say, I've had my share of Christmas films and Food TV's holiday baking challenges of late. So forgive me for the cheesy movie references. Have you found yourself staying in more? Is it too cold to go outside and not worth the effort to leave the comfort of your warm house and fuzzy slippers? Or like the Grinch, and me after a skin treatment, is your schedule booked with at home "self loathing" activities? Or do you simply have no answer to the question, "But WHAT will I WEAR?!" Not to worry, my friend. We're going to get through this together. I'll be ready to face the world within a week and it will be quicker than that for you to be the belle of the ball, office party, church activity or whatever is on your schedule that's worth taking the slippers off for. I've got the tips for you to be the best dressed, anything-but-the-grinch, person at your holiday party.
1. Casual Holiday Party What to Wear
***Go ahead! Embrace the holiday sweaters***.
Wear them with shiny navy corduroy pants, a black skirt and tights, or jeans and boots.
***Add the timeless touch of plaid (red with navy is a great choice) in a jacket, shirt, skirt or scarf***
2. Swanky Dress Up Holiday Party What to Wear
***Go for a something with a bit of shine that will play off the lights. Such as... ***
A touch of velvet or silk
***But really, the best tip for your holiday look is to smile. Yes, Buddy the elf is very, very wise. ***
Thoughtful gifts are also a favorite of pretty much everyone. Here's your chance to be a considerate gifter by giving your loved one the gift they will use every day for the rest of their lives. The gift of confident, charismatic, authentic style. Get the details HERE.
And to help you out a little, I'm gifting you a limited time $ savings.
GET 5% OFF STYLE PACKAGES WITH CODE HAPPYCHRISTMAS.
Expires December 25th.
“My husband surprised me for Christmas with an amazing gift. I had no clue how to buy clothes that fit correctly or what colors to look for. Now I know! I highly recommend Dani.”
When I was a girl, my mom used to sew dresses for me and my sisters for some of the major holidays. Christmas, Easter, and occasionally Thanksgiving. The first two holidays had dresses, usually fitted at the waist dresses, that looked amazing when twirling in them. Then there was the Thanksgiving dress, which always allowed room to grow. She was definitely onto something. Why not enjoy the best low stress holiday of the year with clothes that are equally pretty and comfortable. Yes, stretchy pants are still an option, but a little more polish reminds us that the dark days of covid hibernation are in the past. I have some great options for you - and btw they all passed my personal try on fit test.
Check out the video segment from Good Things Utah below.
In the spirit of the season, thank you so much for taking the time to read my Thanksgiving dressing done well post and for being the caring person that you are. If you took the time to read this, you obviously care about others and giving them something wonderful to look at. Gracias, malo, wir danken dir, tak, merci, kansha shimasu! (Thank you in Spanish, Tongan, German, Danish, French, and Japanese.) All the best to you and your loved ones this holiday.
If you would like me to help you take the guessing out of dressing for your Thanksgiving or any other meaningful event, I’m just a click away!
For more shoppable Thanksgiving looks check out the catalog BELOW
5 Tips for Your Seasonal Closet Clean Out
The weather is changing - this is the perfect time to transition your wardrobe from summer to winter. Does your closet look like this? Organized by garment type and then color?
While a rainbow of flavors is great for Skittles, it doesn't translate into closet efficiency.
Yes, it looks lovely, but this method generally costs you an extra 15-30 minutes and creative energy every time you go to get dressed. When organizing by color or garment type, the clothes that are grouped together aren’t the clothes you would wear together. So each time you go to get dressed you have to come up with a new way to wear the multiple combinations, usually recreating the wheel and taking up a lot of time and creative energy. So most just revert back to wearing the same thing every day. (Which is why most people only wear 20% of the clothes in their closet.) Or just buy something new because they get tired of wearing the same thing everyday but don’t want to take the time to style what they already own. This revamp method will save you time without wearing a uniform so you can get out the door quick and look amazing.
Looking to add an extra half hour to your day? With a professional wardrobe evaluation you'll experience efficiency & inspiration that puts time back on your side! Learn more HERE.
DOES THIS COLOR LOOK GOOD ON ME? HOW TO WEAR ANY COLOR IN YOUR WARDROBE WITH 2 simple strategies
One of the questions I am asked most often is, does this color look good on me? The key to choosing the best colors for you is to become part of the color scheme with your clothes - to be harmonious. So that the clothes are not wearing you! Yet some colors just make you feel alive, some make you feel calm, some make you feel regal, and many of these colors have nothing to do with your personal coloring. Can you wear those? Yes, yes and yes! When you learn your best colors, you can sprinkle them into any outfit and/or combine them with other colors to look harmonious, gorgeous, handsome, put together, AND in tune with the emotions those other colors evoke. HERE'S HOW...(be sure to check out the video at the end of the post).
Strategy #1 - Repeat your personal coloring—your hair, eye, skin, and cheek/lip color—in your clothing. In other words, take your personal coloring down into your clothes. You can expect these colors to look fabulous on you AND you can wear virtually any color if you just add your colors to any outfit.
Repetition of Hair Color
Repetition of Eye Color
Repetition of Skin Color
Repetition of Blush and Lip Color
Creating your clothing color palette is as simple as repeating the colors you wear all day every day in your clothes.
Strategy #2 - Repeat your clothing color on or near your face—with makeup, earrings, hair accessories, headband, scarf, tie or hat. In other words, take your clothing color up onto or near your face.
Repetition of clothing color with glasses
Repetition of clothing color with hats
Don’t box yourself into a specific color palette by calling yourself a “season”. It takes the fun out of changing the colors you wear as the seasons change. You literally can wear most any color by just adding your personal coloring to that favorite color or by repeating the clothing color up and around your face. Not sure what your personal colors are? You'll love my brilliant coloring session that includes your own personal color swatches to combine with any and all of your favorite colors. Learn more HERE.
If you are dreaming of that beachy, upscale, Hampton-esc vacation ala Martha Stewart, Diane Keaton, Ina Gartin, and Nancy Meyers. The coastal grandmother vibe could be for you. It’s comfy, it’s casual, it’s chic…it’s also classic and fairly timeless. In spite of the TikTok hype surrounding this trend, the clothes are about as classic as they come. Which means you won’t regret spending a bit more money on some of these items because they’re not going out of style any time soon. Start with simple pieces like...
1. Collared button up shirt - the collar frames the face and vertical buttons draw the eye toward the middle for a more slim focus. Leave it untucked for a super relaxed look, or tuck it in to emphasize your waist.
2. Straight leg pants and/or wide leg shorts - with silhouettes that work for most figure types. Finally we have shorts that are great for ladies who have broader hips!
3. Comfy shoes - even better with a little platform, who couldn't use a little lift to spice up the granny vibe? These are water resistant.
4. Woven hat - because sun protection is always a good thing.
5. Sweater - even tied over the shoulder for a ready for any weather on the coast vibe.
6. Linen, or light-weight organic fabrics - easy breezy is key with this look. Look for high quality fabrics made from responsibly sourced materials and recycled cotton.
7. Washed out beachy colors with an occasional nautical stripe - picture a bright colored towel you left out in the sun for days...that's what we want. Summer sun-bleached colors.
If you’re done with mom jeans, it may be time to upgrade to Gram land with this classic trend anyone can wear.
Speaking of trends...are you wondering which trends to adopt and which to leave to the teenagers? Wanting to look current yet age appropriate? Then you will love my personal style session where we zero in on the design elements that make your clothing choices oh so you. Learn more HERE.
Check out my favorite Coastal Grandma finds BELOW
On my last trip, traveling through the airport, I noticed the one thing most travelers had in common. Wearing sneakers. Most people had them on. And most, while going through security, balancing bags and retrieving digital devices also spent extra time fumbling to take their sneakers on and off. I noticed how much more efficient and less stressful it was to slip off the slip on shoes. Seriously, there are plenty of legitimate things to worry about when traveling, like which gate you’re going to and if you remembered to take your favorite pocket knife out of your bag. Hasteling with your footwear is one stress that can be easily avoided. There’s also the added benefit of slipping your shoes off on the flight, hello happy toes. Which as you and I know, can be a tricky endeavor when you’re dealing with laces and confined to the itty bitty space between your seat and the seat in front of you on the plane. This is why slip on shoes top my list of genius travel packing tips. Check it out below👇
1. Slip on heaven in the form of shoes - although these don’t go in your suitcase per se, they’re a travel staple. Be sure to choose those that have the versatility of working with most of the clothes you packed.
2. Alternate style of shoes - yes shoes are on this list twice…they are that important. There are two things that are instant vacation busters - one is getting a blister on your first day away and the other is getting a sunburn on the first day, (which is why the next item is on the list). If your shoe does happen to rub you wrong, be sure to have an alternate style that can’t possibly rub in the same area. This pro stylist recommends two-three pairs of shoes. One flat shoe and one with a lift that can be dressed up or down.
3. Travel purse - Great sized cross body travel bag for phone, passport, credit cards, lip stick. Wear under your jacket on the train to avoid pick pockets. Just be sure to remove your favorite pocket knife before going through TSA. I used this for one of my trips and loved it so much, I stuck with it when I got home. It fits easily into a larger purse if you need to pack more.
4. Make up remover mini-towel - my new favorite thing. A great way to remove the day’s face paint while reducing waste caused by wet wipes. It’s so small, that it easily fits in your makeup bag. Just add water, wipe the makeup off, rinse out with soap, and it’s ready for you the following day. Easy peasy and planet friendly.
5. Warm fuzzy socks - hotel rooms can be cold places, there’s nothing like a pair of warm fuzzy socks to bring comfort of home without taking much space. If you’re like me and tend to get cold feet when you first go to bed, these warm you up and slip off easily during the night.
6. Zip lock bags - it’s so simple that some may think unnecessary until you’re the one who has their favorite smelly lotion leak all over the inside of your bag spilling over into every piece of clothing you brought. Sometimes staining and ruining them. Anything that can spill, put in a zip lock bag. It’s also handy to have one for each swimsuit, in case there’s no time for it to dry between destinations. I also pack underwear and shoes in their own bag. It’s nice to add the dirty underwear to the bag on the way home and keep the dirt on your shoes inside the bag.
7. Primer with sunscreen - keeps the make-up on all day long for travel pics you don’t need to be embarrassed by.
8. Cluster your clothes - the most efficient way to plan which clothes to pack. With 3-4 tops and 2-3 bottoms that all work together, you will have more outfits with less clothes and a smaller bag to lug around. See the complete list of cluster guidelines HERE.
9. Tide Travel Packets - pack less and if you need to do the wash, these tiny packets make it pretty easy.
10. Mini perfume - smell as lovely as you would on date night at home when you add your favorite fragrance to this tiny vial. (Be sure to pack it into an equally tiny zip lock bag).
11. Super compact umbrella and/or stuffable wind breaker - getting caught in a downpour is no fun! I always throw in at least one of these depending on the destination.
12. Fashion emergency kit - 17 essential items for life's little mishaps. Never underestimate the power of stain remover on your first day of the trip when you plan to wear the same shirt a few more times.
And “you’re off to great places, today is your day” so says Dr. Seuss. Instead of worrying about packing and having the right thing for travel emergencies check off this list and you’ll be looking, smelling, and feeling amazing! Safe travels my friend.
Did you know I have a travel packing service? Look great on vacation and carry a light suitcase? Unheard of right?!?! Packing beautifully is all about great planning. After this session, you will have a cluster specifically designed for your vacation, personal style, and figure with professionally created looks to amaze every day of your vacay. Hello photo op!
Be sure to get the links for all of the resources BELOW
Image consultant and personal stylist. Dani is happily married, the mother of 3 charming children, and an Aussie named Josie Wales.