Is Your Closet an Anxiety Trigger? One woman's mental health journey through the deep dark recesses of her closet
Ever had one of those days where you don’t want to get out of bed because that means you have to go to your closet? If you’re like my client and friend, Janice (name changed for privacy), the bed blues is an all to often occurrence and triggered by the overwhelming task of going to the closet to find clothes to wear that day.
This is how Janice describes her journey from starting off her days completely overwhelmed to having a peaceful easy feeling….
A huge thank you to Janice for finding the courage to overcome the daily triggers of an overwhelming wardrobe and for putting words to the mental health issues so many struggle with on a daily basis. Keep up the good work my friend!
When is the last time you had a Ferris Bueller morning? The one where you wake up to blue skies and sunshine and say to yourself, “How could I possibly be expected to handle school (or work) on a day like this?” (Video to follow.) Despite your daily responsibilities, spring fever is calling! Here are 3 ways to embrace it and still mean business.
1. Simplify your hair routine. It’s finally warm! We want our free time to be spent outside instead of inside doing hair. Time for a spring hair cut or updo so you can just add some product and go. Here are a few ideas:
(For more hair inspiration, click on the image above to see my Pinterest board.)
2. Go with florals. The flowers are finally blooming after this long winter! Embrace it. Add some visual authority to the when the floral is in a silk or rayon for women or subtle for men.
(Click on any of the clothing images to purchase through my affiliate link.)
3. Tailored light-weight layers. Linen blazers are easy to find right now. Choose them in a textured pattern to wear over denim or trousers to dress up the tee or polo beneath. Cause you know you’ll want to take it off to soak up the sun at lunch.
Go ahead! Embrace the spring fever AND look calm, cool and collected...ready for a quality work experience instead of looking like you just rolled out of bed. Not sure how to customize this approach to fit your personal style, figure type and coloring? Let's talk!
My son is currently living in Central America. On his days off, he enjoys going to the corner market or "paca" and finding gently used t-shirts. Many are from the U.S. It was a real surprise to find a Pink Floyd tee in mint condition, Pink Floyd being his favorite band. It was an even bigger surprise to find a tee from his high school drill team. Just when he thought he couldn’t be further away from home, there he stood confronted with the reminder of a former life he and that lonely old drill team t-shirt both shared. That tee was one of the lucky survivors. Some estimates say that 21 billion pounds of clothes end up in US landfills every year. I know what you’re thinking, I donate my clothes so I’m not contributing to the 21 billion pounds. But guess how much of what you donate is actually resold in the second hand market? Only 10-15%! (I know, mind blown.) So most of what you donate doesn’t get resold. That doesn’t mean stop donating, it does mean to look twice before you buy. As your professional shopper and stylist, I’ve found you some earth friendly clothing options to look for next time you’re out shopping…you’re going to love the price as well.
Fast fashion has gotten a bad wrap in the past for producing so many low cost, clothing options that people buy, wear for a few months and then throw away, where they eventually end up in the landfill. It's been called cheap chic in the past. Now, H&M has an entire line of “Earth Conscious” clothing. Look for clothing that has a green tag and this is what you’ll find:
1. Fabric containing some recycled material.
H&M clothing is being highlighted below, but other brands including Ralph Lauren, Levi Strauss and Zella have found a way to incorporate plastic bottles into their fabrics. They use a minimum of 20 percent plastics recycled from drink bottles and food trays.
2. Fabric containing sustainable sources such as cotton, silk, wood fibers, etc.
These plants are grown in a controlled farm environment. When the clothes have served their purpose, they will decompose back into the earth because they're made of natural materials.
3. Fabric from waste or cut-offs created during production or donated clothing.
H&M has started a collection for unwanted used clothing that they recycle into new items. During the month of April, H&M stores has a drop box for unwanted clothing in any condition that they will turn into something new.
To find more earth friendly options from H&M, type "Conscious" in the search option at the top of the page.
Looking for earth conscious clothing that fits your coloring, shape and personal style? Look no further! Contact me HERE for a free discovery call where we'll discuss the best fit for both you and the planet.
It's summer and I'm heading north to get out of the heat. My sisters have just arrived after making the 10 hour drive from Phoenix. They walk into my bedroom and find my suitcase open and empty on the floor. I can tell one sister is slightly annoyed by her body language, tapping her toe on the ground, arms folded. My other sister says, well we could go shop at the outlets, I need a new dress....this packing stuff is bound to take a while. They continue to discuss their options on how to fill the next hour. As they're deliberating, I go to my closet, sandwich a group of clothes between my hands, lift them out of the closet and lay them in my suitcase. I grab my make-up case, throw in my swimsuit, shoes, hat, underwear and zip up the suitcase. I'm ready to go. The girls are still trying to settle on a store to shop at. When was the last time packing for a trip was a breeze for you?
Packing efficiently is all about great planning. And this happens much earlier than the day of the trip. In fact, my closet is always organized with different groups or clusters of clothes for different occasions. Getting ready on a daily basis is quick and so is packing for a trip! It's also efficient. Who wants to lug around a heavy bag while on vacation? Or pay extra for bags at the airport? Below I give you the magic system for creating maximum looks with minimal amounts of clothing. You will have enough pieces for dressy or casual occasions, warm days, cool nights and 12-15 different outfit options. You may even be able to take that small bag–you know, the one that fits in the overhead on a flight. Which means you won’t have to wait and wait for your bag after you get to your destination. Which means you can start sipping piña coladas that much sooner!
Check out the video from Fox 13's the Place or continue reading...
7 Pieces for 7 Days - the clustering system
1. Find a source of inspiration–a pattern of colors in a print, stripe or plaid–to inspire the color scheme of your cluster.
2. Plan for five to eight easy pieces of clothing, at least three top and two bottom pieces that coordinate with the inspiration piece. Ideally one of the tops is a third layer piece. Below, we have a cardigan sweater for chilly evenings and a chambray button up shirt that can be worn plain or as a shirt jacket when needed. Wear skirt to dress up a bit or stroll through a market and pants for casual and active occasions.
3. Select pieces that are basic/classics–simple in style lines and shape. This allows you to create more looks will less clothing.
4. Add on to the group, selecting pieces that go together–will work with at least three, four or more other pieces. Every piece in this group can be worn together.
5. Select pieces that are distinctly different from one another (no two pieces alike) for maximum versatility.
6. Select accessories to go with the clothes, beginning with essential basic accessories first. Comfortable shoes are a must on vacation.
7. Finally, throw in pjs, underwear, essential grooming items, a couple of books, sunscreen and you’re ready for piña coladas!
Wondering how many looks you can get from this cluster? So glad you asked! Here are 12 different ways to wear your 7 pieces. Oh and there's only 7 days! How in the world will you choose?
Click here to purchase any of the pieces shown above.
Click HERE for hand picked clothes perfect your specific trip, body type, coloring and personal style. Or let's talk! Call or text: 385.229.6297.
Oh Valentine's Day! For some, it's a magical day full of dancing unicorns spreading the energy of love like pixie dust. And for others, love magic is the last thing on their mind. Which one are you? Or are you somewhere in between? You've heard me say it before, "the way you dress, the colors you wear, affect the way you think, feel, act and then how others react or respond to you," according to Judith Rasband AICI CIM. Which means that color communicates first to you, the person wearing the color, then to others. So when Thursday rolls around, and you go to get dressed, because wearing clothes is a good idea, which color are you going to choose? The colors that say, (A) I'm not feeling the love and I don't want to feel the love, (B) Ooh la la magic is in the air, or (C) life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.
A - You’re not feeling the love and don’t wanna feel the love. It happens! When you're feeling kinda blue, wearing dark blue, dark purple and grays can reinforce the somber mood. Cool colors can make you feel, well cool. These colors may communicate the following messages:
B - On the other hand, if you are feeling the love, and want to show it in your clothes, warm colors will generally do the trick.
This is what the “love” colors may be saying…
C - “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get,” Forest Gump. If you want to tell yourself and others that you have a lovely outlook on life, but you’re not about to look like a cheesy Hallmark card try this:
Try these colors on a formal date, casual dinner out, an active date, or even breakfast in bed and notice how they influence your mood. To know your absolute best colors, the ones that make your eyes light up, hair shine, and give your skin a healthy pinkish hue, try my Couples Color Session - on sale the month of February.
Having trouble finding clothes that fit? Tired of sweats and leggings? I have this nasty habit of indulging and eating whatever I want in December only to go cold turkey in January. The problem with this weight fluctuating routine, is that January and February are a great time to buy clothes! Everything's on sale. It’s when the stores are clearing out their Fall/Winter apparel for inventory and bringing in new Spring lines. How do you know which styles to adopt if you’re looking to drop some weight and in some cases gain it? After all, you don’t want to risk looking frumpy, dumpy and lumpy during the transition. No, don’t wait on the weight to feel great. If you or someone you know is in the waiting place, these clothing options will be liberating. (Also lovely if you're pregnant or have a health condition that includes weight fluctuations.) These styles will adjust as you do, within approximately 20-30 pounds, and will give you more flexible options. A word of caution...continued reading may tempt you to wear something besides sweats and leggings.
YOUR FASHION STYLIST'S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WEIGHT FLUCTUATING OPTIONS
Click on the image for the source, or get the complete catalog HERE.
1. Double breasted blazers, move the buttons over to adjust for weight loss/gain. Boyfriend style cardigans are also a nice choice, meant to be worn somewhat loose. Other third layer options to consider are knit vests, duster coats and sweater coats.
2. Drop-shoulder and raglan sleeves are a wonderful way to camouflage weight changes in the shoulder area because the shoulder seam is not placed precisely on the shoulder joint. Cowl-neck collars are another option. Not limited to sweaters, find these styles for warm weather clothes as well.
3. Wrap blouses, vests and jackets adjust when do as you tighten or loosen the belted tie. Notice that some wrap tops and skirts are wrap "style" or faux wrap. Meaning the tie doesn't come around the back, limiting their adjustability. However, the wrap "style" below (navy and gold top) has an elastic waistline that will also transition as you do.
4. Wrap skirts and dresses are similar to the tops above. Follow the same principles and look for enough fabric in the skirt to provide coverage when you sit.
5. Shirtwaist dresses that are straight with a belt are lovely. The blousing around the middle allows the clothing silhouette to be dominant, disguising any tummy bulges. The floral float dress accommodates a wide range of sizes. Look for a descent fit through the arm holes or add a third layer. Other dresses to look for include empire waist dresses and jumpers.
6. Wear trouser-pleat pants with a belt. If they become too spacious, you can just add another pleat and no-one's the wiser. Same with the trendy paper bag waist pants.
7. Who doesn't love stretchy pants? The black pants, below, are both stretchy and professional looking. Elastic waistlines are a great way to go. Find them in the floral palazzo pants as well. Patterns aren't your thing? Palazzo pants come in many different colors, patterns and fabrics. Don't limit yourself. You have options!
What adventure is on the horizon for you in 2019? Do you have a new look in mind to get you there? Your clothes can be as flexible and as versatile as you are. Expand your mindset, expand your clothing options and let your wardrobe evolve with you. Contact me for your custom approach to the clothing that says who you are before you speak a word.
Ready to flex your new weight? Guided shopping with your professional style coach is a blast! You’ll also come away with clothes that fit so fantastic you’ll wonder why you waited so long. Mention this post and get 10% off personal shopping through the end of February 2019.
Article adapted from Judith Rasband's Fabulous Fit Clinic.
It's Wednesday afternoon, the middle of December, and the snow is falling. I'm out in the cold, at the cemetery, waiting for my friend's casket to be brought to her grave. My sweet friend is being laid to rest after her courageous battle with cancer. The mood is quiet, somber, peaceful. Out of respect for her and her family, most people are dressed formally and wear darker colors. After all, this is an occasion to show love and support, not to stand out and get noticed. I'm surprised by the low number of well wishers who actually have dressy coats to match their more formal clothing. Almost no one is wearing a classy looking hat. And it's COLD! Did I mention the snow falling? Some people are even wrapping the mortuary blankets around themselves. The lady next to me was wearing only a thin silk blazer. She was visibly shivering and subconsciously moving closer, I'm guessing for group heat. I put my arm around her and move to block the wind. In my long fur coat, I feel like the fluffy warm snowman trying to hug the icy cold one in the image above. I'm feeling bad for my new friend, but not about to give up my coat.
A warm coat and hat to keep the body temperature locked inside the body makes all the difference between frigid, shivering cold and cozy warm. Even if you don't frequent snowy, cold weather funerals, you won't regret having one dressy coat and hat just in case. You may even find yourself branching out and looking for other occasions to wear them. How about a nice holiday dinner or theater with an evening stroll after? Maybe to see the lights downtown? My goal for you, whether you know it or not, is for you to look like a million bucks no matter what you're doing. With this mission in mind, it's always a good idea to have two coats, two hats and two pairs of gloves. One for formal events where you need to look classy and show respect for your host. And one for casual, fun events, where snowball fights will probably be involved. Here are ideas for coat/hat combos for those more dressy scenarios and where to find them. Because Christmas is fast approaching and Santa is still making his list. Speaking of which....have you put a couple of hours of personal styling on your list? How about a wardrobe assessment with a customized guide for what to wear where for your figure, coloring and personal style? Click HERE to add Style By Dani to Santa's list. Click HERE to get the elve's employee discount.
Dressy Hats & Coats For Women & Men
Give the gift they will use every day for the rest of their lives. The gift of timeless style.
Contact me HERE to learn more. For ready made packages with great discounts, click HERE.
That's one way for each day in December leading up to THE big day. 25 ways my very real, very genuine clients motivate themselves to use their appearance to inhale confidence and exhale doubt. You may call it an Image Advent Calendar, guaranteed to take the stress out what may otherwise be an anxious time of year. This is what inhaling confidence really looks like…
These are the 25 gifts you receive when you take the guessing out of dressing. What does a more confident you look like? Wondering how you can become the best version of you?
Not sure which package is right for you? Let's create one together. Click HERE or contact Dani at Dani@StyleByDani.com, call/text 385.229.6297.
You're running around on Halloween and want to show that yes, you are aware it's that hallowed day, without looking or feeling uncomfortably over the top. Here are three easy ways to put out the Halloween vibe with minimal effort. You're welcome.
1. The ugly Halloween sweater. Yes, it's a thing. A discreet, cool but no overly cool, Halloween statement piece.
2. Kritter Klips that match your actual hair color.
3. Maskimals - they also come in the Nightmare Before Christmas variety.
For more Halloween ideas including how to find the costume you already own in your closet, check out this post. Or for a more customized approach to Halloween, click here for your Perfect Halloween Style.
It's never a bad idea to update your jeans...and to discard that pair at the bottom of pile that haven't fit in 10 years. A new pair of jeans is something I invest in once a year. As the weather has abruptly changed from summer to winter, I am now looking to denim for warm, rugged, Fall comfort. With our many different body shapes and sizes, and so many options in jeans, which one is right for you? Amanda Peet said, "I usually try on at least 20 pairs of jeans before I find something that looks good on me. And even then, I have a trustworthy friend tell me if my butt looks big!" What a pain! Save yourself some time and mental fatigue when you choose the right shape for your shape.
your Shape 101 class applied to jeans
This is A WAY to choose the best jeans for your shape, not the only way. Remember, it's not just what you wear, but how you wear it. For other options that are a fabulous fit for you, including how to make the clothes you currently own work for your figure, click HERE.
Image consultant and personal stylist. Dani is happily married, the mother of 3 charming children, and an Aussie named Josie Wales.