On my last trip, traveling through the airport, I noticed the one thing most travelers had in common. Wearing sneakers. Most people had them on. And most, while going through security, balancing bags and retrieving digital devices also spent extra time fumbling to take their sneakers on and off. I noticed how much more efficient and less stressful it was to slip off the slip on shoes. Seriously, there are plenty of legitimate things to worry about when traveling, like which gate you’re going to and if you remembered to take your favorite pocket knife out of your bag. Hasteling with your footwear is one stress that can be easily avoided. There’s also the added benefit of slipping your shoes off on the flight, hello happy toes. Which as you and I know, can be a tricky endeavor when you’re dealing with laces and confined to the itty bitty space between your seat and the seat in front of you on the plane. This is why slip on shoes top my list of genius travel packing tips. Check it out below👇
1. Slip on heaven in the form of shoes - although these don’t go in your suitcase per se, they’re a travel staple. Be sure to choose those that have the versatility of working with most of the clothes you packed.
2. Alternate style of shoes - yes shoes are on this list twice…they are that important. There are two things that are instant vacation busters - one is getting a blister on your first day away and the other is getting a sunburn on the first day, (which is why the next item is on the list). If your shoe does happen to rub you wrong, be sure to have an alternate style that can’t possibly rub in the same area. This pro stylist recommends two-three pairs of shoes. One flat shoe and one with a lift that can be dressed up or down.
3. Travel purse - Great sized cross body travel bag for phone, passport, credit cards, lip stick. Wear under your jacket on the train to avoid pick pockets. Just be sure to remove your favorite pocket knife before going through TSA. I used this for one of my trips and loved it so much, I stuck with it when I got home. It fits easily into a larger purse if you need to pack more.
4. Make up remover mini-towel - my new favorite thing. A great way to remove the day’s face paint while reducing waste caused by wet wipes. It’s so small, that it easily fits in your makeup bag. Just add water, wipe the makeup off, rinse out with soap, and it’s ready for you the following day. Easy peasy and planet friendly.
5. Warm fuzzy socks - hotel rooms can be cold places, there’s nothing like a pair of warm fuzzy socks to bring comfort of home without taking much space. If you’re like me and tend to get cold feet when you first go to bed, these warm you up and slip off easily during the night.
6. Zip lock bags - it’s so simple that some may think unnecessary until you’re the one who has their favorite smelly lotion leak all over the inside of your bag spilling over into every piece of clothing you brought. Sometimes staining and ruining them. Anything that can spill, put in a zip lock bag. It’s also handy to have one for each swimsuit, in case there’s no time for it to dry between destinations. I also pack underwear and shoes in their own bag. It’s nice to add the dirty underwear to the bag on the way home and keep the dirt on your shoes inside the bag.
7. Primer with sunscreen - keeps the make-up on all day long for travel pics you don’t need to be embarrassed by.
8. Cluster your clothes - the most efficient way to plan which clothes to pack. With 3-4 tops and 2-3 bottoms that all work together, you will have more outfits with less clothes and a smaller bag to lug around. See the complete list of cluster guidelines HERE.
9. Tide Travel Packets - pack less and if you need to do the wash, these tiny packets make it pretty easy.
10. Mini perfume - smell as lovely as you would on date night at home when you add your favorite fragrance to this tiny vial. (Be sure to pack it into an equally tiny zip lock bag).
11. Super compact umbrella and/or stuffable wind breaker - getting caught in a downpour is no fun! I always throw in at least one of these depending on the destination.
12. Fashion emergency kit - 17 essential items for life's little mishaps. Never underestimate the power of stain remover on your first day of the trip when you plan to wear the same shirt a few more times.
And “you’re off to great places, today is your day” so says Dr. Seuss. Instead of worrying about packing and having the right thing for travel emergencies check off this list and you’ll be looking, smelling, and feeling amazing! Safe travels my friend.
Did you know I have a travel packing service? Look great on vacation and carry a light suitcase? Unheard of right?!?! Packing beautifully is all about great planning. After this session, you will have a cluster specifically designed for your vacation, personal style, and figure with professionally created looks to amaze every day of your vacay. Hello photo op!
Be sure to get the links for all of the resources BELOW
Image consultant and personal stylist. Dani is happily married, the mother of 3 charming children, and an Aussie named Josie Wales.