“My teenager looks like an old man!” Says my client when talking about the trend of late…baggy jeans. It’s always in fashion to mix up the fashion. After a long run of skinny jeans, the trend was bound to change directions at some time. So here we have it folks, baggy and / or mom jeans. For those of you who only remember wearing skinny jeans, this new one is going to take some serious behavior modification and maybe even counseling. You can wear a different style of pants. I believe in you!
The problem with a new trend is that it often favors the ideal figure type. Once the trend becomes more mainstream, manufacturers modify the design to work for more than just the ideal figure. This baggy trend is no exception. Ideal figure or not, here are 8+ ways to wear baggy jeans and look slim, chic, and comfortable without looking like an old man…or sloppy looking teenager.
1. Look for jeans that are fitted above the hips and loose below, instead of those that are wide from the waist down - the second option tends to bag out around the zipper creating a tummy pooch....oof.
2. Add some stretch. A bit of stretch = a bit more comfy. When in doubt look at the label, even 1% of elastane will make the difference in more comfortable movement - especially when sitting.
3. Bring on the fitted top. When one piece is loose fitting, balance it with another that is more form fitting.
4. Give yourself the illusion of a waist! Here you have many options. If you are so inclined to show some skin and have a small waist, wearing a crop top or crop top with a jacket or shirt jack will draw the eye to your narrower waist, balancing a bulkier leg.
5. Another way to draw attention to the waist without showing your belly is to simply tuck in your shirt, with or without a belt. Adding a belt will also draw attention to the waist, with the added bonus of looking more pulled together. Be sure to blouse the top slightly above the waistband.
6. Tie it up! Knotting a shirt at the waist draws attention to the waist and camouflages a tummy bulge. It's also a great way to add shape to an oversized shirt and give you the illusion of a waist.
7. Try a top with should pads - broadening the look of the shoulders will often make the waist appear more narrow.
8. Give yourself a lift with heels/platforms/wedges - this elongates the visual line making you appear more tall and less wide.
All of the sources for images above can be found in my online catalog HERE. For a more customized approach to know the best fit for your figure, you'll love my Fabulous Fit session. You'll know your figure type and love the many options you'll have to create your illusion of the ideal - looking true to you gorgeous!
Image consultant and personal stylist. Dani is happily married, the mother of 3 charming children, and an Aussie named Josie Wales.